If you have an iPhone you can make and receive phone calls on a Mac. The calls are routed via your iPhone so the number is the same – friends and colleagues won’t even realise you aren’t talking to them on your computer.
How to make a phone call from a Mac
- Ensure you have the right software: You need to be running at least iOS 8 on your iPhone.
- Log both your iPhone and your Mac onto the same WiFi network.
- On your iPhone, go to Settings > iPhone > Calls on Other Devices and choose the devices that you can allow calls on.
- On you Mac, open FaceTime and choose FaceTime > Preferences and make sure ‘Calls from iPhone’ is selected.
- Place a call using Contacts: search for Contacts in Spotlight by pressing Cmd+Space Bar and then starting to type Contacts. Click on Call to place the call.
- Place a call from Spotlight: You could just start typing the name of the person you wish to call straight into Spotlight and place the call from there. As before, click on the handset icon which will appear as long as there is a number associated with the contact you have chosen.
- Place a call using FaceTime: Open FaceTime > Click on Audio > Click on the handset to place the call.
- Place a call from Safari: If you have found a number on the internet you can easily place a call just by clicking on it. The number will either be recognised as a link which you can click on to place a call, or when you hover your curser over the number you should see a down arrow appear which you can click on to place the call. If this down arrow doesn’t automatically show up, highlight the number and it should. Click on the down arrow and choose to call the number.
- You can also place calls using Mail and Maps and Messages (in Messages just click on Details at the top of a message thread with your contact and choose the handset to call them.
How to receive a call on a Mac
This works both ways. Once your Mac is set up to make phone calls as above you will also be able to receive them there.
- When a call comes in on your iPhone you will see an alert appear on your Mac.
- To answer the call you only need to click on the answer icon.
- To finish the call just click on the hang up icon.
Also Read : Blocking unwanted calls on Android